Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Delirium at Captain Dan's

This part of the week is where delirium begins to set in. My body begins to drag and my mind starts to wonder. Perhaps it’s changing hotel rooms every night, or not getting enough rest because you feel like you’re not going to wake up in time for class in the morning. Perhaps like this morning having a class full of droolers who are unresponsive students makes it bit hard to feel good about what you’re doing. But being a wondering stranger in a new city by your self takes its toll.

I drove up to Brunswick, just a half hour north of Portland. I found my way to Captain Daniels Inn.

http://www.captaindanielstoneinn.com/homes.html

An old mansion made for Captain Dan back in the 1800’s. The website made it look beautiful so that’s why I stayed. And it is, they just forget to mention that the hotel is located right on a busy highway so my view is just that. My room is cute but small. My laptop barely fits the desk in the room. I do love the fact that you actually get a real key for your room. And the bed is one of the most comfortable beds I’ve slept on yet. In fact, after having a great lunch in town I came back to rest my eyes and fell instantly asleep.

Perhaps because it was hot today, I really wasn’t in good spirits. I walked around town today grabbed some lunch. It is a very cute and quaint town. People seem to be a little off but in a good way. The most interesting thing I saw today in the park was a man walking his monkey. Yes! A real monkey…on a leash. The town is really old fashioned and extremely laid back. I could see myself making a movie here someday.

On my walk, I discovered an independent movie theater. I don’t know if the world saw that I was feeling down and lonely, but the movie that was playing there was a movie I have been waiting to see since last May. I don’t understand how it is that I couldn’t see this movie in Orlando, but I found it months after its release in Brunswick, Maine. I meant to go the 5pm show but I slept through it during my nap. I figured I would just skip it but I called and found out the next one was at 7pm. I decided to go. I walked to the very small movie theater and when I walked in, there were regular movie theaters chairs. In the front were a three couches and a piano. So instantly I went to the couch. It reminded me of working at Rhythm and Hues during dailies my team and I would cuddle up on one of the couches in the front row while everyone else sat in the movie theater chairs as the morning dailies were shown on the screen.

The Review
It is this humble filmgoers opinion that “ONCE” is with out a doubt the sweetest and Best Film I have seen all year. Not only is this best film I’ve seen all year, I believe this will go into my all time favorite list. It’s a guy meets girl story and it’s funny because their names listed on the credits is guy and girl. It is considered a musical but in a very non-traditional since of the genre. More musicals should be made like this but I don’t think there can ever be a musical like this.

I am so pleased and in awe of this movie theater. The film had been rated R for a few non-sexual F-words. On the marquee they crossed it out and put PG-13. Evening Star Cinema, I applaud you.

The planets aligned on this day after months of trying to find this movie God gave it to me as a gift on one of my low lonely sad days. I had happy tears in my eyes through out this entire movie. When this movie is released on DVD I must have a screening in hopes that everyone will appreciate it as much as I did.

Now I’m going to listen to the soundtrack and fall asleep at peace after slight moment of delirium.

So please if you have a moment in your busy day tomorrow please send me some love, a question or anything that I can respond to. Or if you feel like you can send me a text or call my cell. I would love to hear a familiar voice.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to see "ONCE" sounds like a great movie.. thanks for telling us about it. I haven't seen it in a theater.

Stacy Disarrayed said...

I'll see your tiny hotel room & loneliness and raise you a crappy Healthy Choice meal, a headache with aspirations to become a migraine, a meeting at 3 that I'm not ready for, and a bid that's due by the end of the day...I guess it's all about perspective. ;)
But see, you got to see a great movie...I'm sitting here listening to 'Goonies' for the millionth time, I need to add more movie audios to my computer at work...and I'm hungry. See my blog for details.
I know...random. But...yea, I don't have a reason.
Luv

Anonymous said...

Excellent rambling Pete. Maybe let your needs be known and not your wants. Maybe slow down a bit and let God speak to you in that "still small voice." Once your needs are met, maybe your wants will fall into place.