Monday, September 24, 2007

Vacationland

Legend has it that my mother and father had been trying to get pregnant for quite some time. They had finally given up and decided to adopt a boy from Hawaii. They had moved to New Hampshire as missionaries where they lived for a short time. While on a trip to Maine my mother was becoming ill. They drove to Bar Harbor Maine with my aunt and cousins. Whether the news was here in Bar Harbor remains to be know to me, but the realization is that I was unexpectantly in my mother's womb in Bar Harbor Maine when my began to have symptoms of being pregnant.

After 31 years I have made it to the place where I was noticed. I am in Bar Harbor Maine. It's a beautiful clear day about 70 degrees with a perfect breeze. I walked the along the coast of the harbor taking the beauty all around me. It's absolutely gorgeous here. Downtown is lined with gifts shops and restaurants. All New England style buildings. The leaves are slightly changing yet to my surprise the flowers are in full bloom.

I'm sitting next to an old man eating ice cream on a park bench in the town square. I'm sipping coffee and doing some work. The town has free wireless so I was able to work and enjoy being outside. I drove up from Portland to Bangor yesterday afternoon during sunset. I really can't explain God's miracles up here in writing. I think only the greatest poets or painters could capture and describe what I saw. By the time I reached my hotel in Bangor it was dark. My room was fair nothing special, but the bed was comfortable. I had fish and chips for dinner and decided to retire early. I woke up at 7am, made coffee and did some work for my next trip. I noticed I had 12 hours to kill until my College Fair and so I jumped into Big Blue and drove 42 miles.

I first stopped off at Acadia National Park. Brittany has always wanted to go there so at the steps I made a promise that I would come back with her someday. I at least bought her a magnet to remember that promise. You see she is my National Park buddy since she traveled cross-country with me from L.A. to Orlando hitting every National Park along the way. It just wouldn't be right to go in without her.

I then drove down a couple of miles to Bar Harbor where I now sit.

I really have nothing profound to say. I put on a mood ring while in a gift shop and it read that I was extremely happy and relaxed. I'm sure that this place could be brutal in the winter and tough to bear. I don't know if Maine would be a place to live or if it's just one of those vacation moments where you're in complete bliss and living here would be completely different. Living costs are about the same as Orlando. Nonetheless I'll always keep it in the back of my mind.

Maine license plates read "Maine – Vacationland". Perhaps that is all will be to me, just a vacationland. I have only been here for three days and I'm in love with it.

Tonight, I head up to Orno, Maine for a college fair at the University of Maine. My goal is to get a black t-shirt with Maine imprinted on it. Not because I love this state but really because I grew up in a small town in upstate NY called Maine. Ha-ha…I just looked over as saw a man sleeping on the grass with his book covering his face. Sweet!

What a great day it has been so far…

Downtown Portland - From my hotel room Sunday Sept. 23
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Big Blue and I at the hotel parking lot before leaving this morning
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Acadia National Park - Visitor's Center
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Bar Harbor
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Bar Harbor - Along the Path
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Bar Harbor - Me on the path
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Park where I wrote this Blog
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

Stacy Disarrayed said...

Pete, I'm already in love with your blog. I'm traveling vicariously through you, I LOVE Maine! And I'm hating my job this week so I would like nothing more than to be there too.
Continue to take it all in!