Friday, September 28, 2007

The Lighthouse

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The waves crash against the rocks echoing their sound across the Cape Elizabeth. I've been laying here for a while staring off into the Atlantic Ocean perched up against rocks. The rocks look like carved wood, natural steps down to the water. High tide is gradually making its way up the rocks. I will probably have to move up the incline shortly. My mind is empty with perhaps a thought or two popping in every once in a while. The sun peers through the partly cloudy sky and the cool ocean breeze makes it once again perfect weather.

I drove through dense fog twelve miles west of Portland this morning on my way to the high school. It was a small town like every other town here in Maine. I found the school with no problems. I think I'm beginning to understand my way around here. The school was large and the Art teacher I met was extremely nice. He had me set up in the auditorium and he had gone all out and had a student play his upright bass while students entered the auditorium. It was a nice gesture and the student was very talented. I gave two presentations back to back and I think a quarter of the students actually cared, maybe half. But that's usually how it is. The teacher than showed me around and told me about the tv class he kind of teaches. They have a full studio and edit bays that are really going to waste. He hinted to me that he wanted someone with experience to turn this into a real working classroom, a professional that know what he was doing. I would move up here in a heartbeat I told him if it was ever a possibility. I doubt anything would come of it, but it was sad to see all the equipment not getting any use. A couple of the teachers expressed interest in me coming back next semester so I pretty much have a full schedule if I can get this off the ground. I told them all it will have to happen before march if that's the case. CouldI teach? Could I really live in Maine? If that's God's path, we'll have to see.

I arrived back at the hotel at 12:30pm to change. I had planned on driving to Cape Elizabeth today pending on the weather. It turned out to be perfect. The drive was short. It's about 12 miles southeast of Portland. My goal this week was to see a lighthouse and I am happy to say my distant readers that mission has been accomplished. The lighthouse stands old but strong behind me. That is one thing I've always wanted to see in my lifetime and now I have.

Now I am going to get lunch….

I forgot to mention in yesterday's blog. I was doing a presentation and my IM was on without my knowledge. Michael my dear close friend had written me a hello. I'm so glad Michael used the simple word hello. I have received IM's on his bad office days and my students could have possibly learned a whole new lesson if that was the case. After the class I called him and we laughed hysterically at all the possibilities that could have happened. Thank you Michael for the laughs yesterday. I needed it.

I drove to downtown Portland because I heard about this amazing sushi restaurant. Several teachers, students and random people told me about it. So I walked to the restaurant and they were closed until dinner. I walked around until I decided on a place because I was so hungry. I went to McGritty's and had a sandwich thinking I would just wait it out downtown until they opened. Well I was actually full after that. I thought about going to a movie, but decided against it at the last moment. So I ended up just going back to the hotel. Even though, I really should head back downtown tonight to have a farewell party but I have to wake up at 4am tomorrow, return Big Blue and catch a plane. I have so much to do when I get back to Florida. Pick up my car, drive to work, get some work done, and drive to Tampa (maybe). I think I'm making the right choice to stay in this evening. I've had so much fun this week and have seen a lot. I'm just going to take it all in before I even think about writing a retrospective on the week. So with this bittersweet ending, I will say this almost forgotten state of Maine, will always be in my heart.

….so for those of you who don't know where I am going next, I'll see you in the city I hate the most the city I absolutely loathe…

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

The Brooks Family said...

Well, I have to say that you have captivated me. I have sat here in one day and read through all of your posts. It's like reading a good book...what comes next? It's great that you are able to take the time get out see all of these new places. I'm glad you got to see your lighthouse, I saw mine in Puerto Rico and it was beautiful. I hope that you get some much needed rest and I look forward to reading your next post. Take care of yourself...love ya!