Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Grand Father City

I feel a bit silly really, somewhat ashamed at myself in a way. My plane landed early in Portland. My bags arrived on the belt. I followed signs to the rental cars lugging two suitcases and a quick screen. Reaching the rental car location I noticed mine wasn't there. I was slightly annoyed. I lugged my suitcases across the airport which really isn't that far, but tired and jet lagged I felt I was becoming anxious. I found a phone where I am supposed to call them and wait for a bus. The bus took its time arriving and when it did, stopped twenty feet past me even though I waved him down. I arrive at the rental car place and waited for my car. The process took about a half hour. They pulled my car around that will be my carriage for the next week. A small P.T. Cruiser with just enough room to put my luggage in the back. I've named the P.T. Cruiser "Big Blue".

The three-mile drive to my hotel took 15 minutes. The speed limit was 30 mph on two lane roads. At that point I have become extremely annoyed and anxious. This was suppose to be fun, this is Portland, Maine…

The initial plan was to drive down to Cape Elizabeth today. But the day is dreary like a heavy fog looming over the city. That ocean mist that does not want to dissipate. I'm on the 10th floor and open my huge curtain that reveals downtown Portland. I decided to just walk even though I'm exhausted.

Portland Maine reminds of Portland, OR. It is said that Portland, OR was named after this city and you might think these two cities were brothers separated by birth. It also reminds me of Seattle. The buildings are on hill that leads to the bay. Though the hills are not as steep as Seattle. The old red brick is breathtaking and cobble stone roads in certain sections make it very unique. I went through little shops and bought a camera. I walked up and down streets searching for a place to eat. I decided to walk towards the port and found DiMillo's. It's a ship turned restaurant. It was nice yet casual. The windows surround the dinning area where you could see out into the bay. I was seated at four top slightly embarrassed and since I was eating alone. I looked around the dining room and you could instantly point out the locals from the tourists. The tourists were loud and drunk on life and all of then of course ordering the lobster. The locals were quiet, eating in peace. Their skin aged, their bodies worn down. I noticed that too when I was walking earlier. How easy it was to separate the two.

I of course order a cup of clam chowder and a lobster. I'm a tourist what can I say?

After lunch I walked around more and took pictures of buildings and statues. I was tired but really didn't want to go back to the hotel. I didn't want a drink or a cup of coffee, but then I came upon a movie theater. I checked the times and the one movie I wanted to see was starting in five minutes. This was fate. I snuggled in my seat and watch Eastern Promises. I enjoyed it, though it's funny to see several older people go to a David Cronenburg film because I always remember his films a weird a twisted. He's kinda gotten past the somewhat weird part but he still doesn't hold anything back. So the older people in the theater gasped at the gore and I say, well, that's just David, that wonderful sick man. Please send me your thoughts and lets talk about that one scene…or you will know.

When I left the theater I started walking back to the hotel. And this is why I feel a bit ashamed. I don't know if it's just today, the dreary sky or if this is what it really is, but Portland is so quiet. I did not once here a siren. Cars didn't honk. In fact if the car has a green light they will let a person who is waiting for the walk signal to cross the street before they go. I'm ashamed because I seem to have let in all that impatience that annoyance of everyday life gets the best of me. This is not what this city is. It's a quiet city where it has found a peace through long winters the monster ocean. Like it's an old man who has seen everything and settled down for some quiet bliss. I'm going to call it the "Grand-Father" city because it's old and wise, worn and embracing.

Now, even though I am exhausted I want to know more. I'm going down to the hotel bar and use my complimentary drink ticket then walk to a local pub. I want to listen to these people because they may have some lesson some secret to share with me tonight.

Restaurant Website
Dimillos.com

Movie Trailer of the Week
Juno

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

Stacy Disarrayed said...

I totally want to go to Portland, Maine now.
YAY you had a lobster for me!!! Was it fab?

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter. Just read your blog and loved it. I now feel like I've been to Portland. Sounds pretty different that Bar Harbor to me. Different in maybe a good way! Could you possibly get one of the locals or tourists to include YOU in a photo??? Glenda