Friday, September 21, 2007

The Fall has Risen

The summer was full of trials that buried me deep into the corridors of my Bishop Park apartment. I had fallen to a point where I was not able to communicate with people or lacked any motivation to go outside. My health was failing so the doctors had said, so I went on this low cholesterol diet, which wasn't all that bad, but yet lacked a certain spark to put a smile on my face. A couple dear friends had come to sit with me and watch movies. Yet, at the end of the day I was still alone and miserable. I felt my life slowly disinagrating…. I had entered the fun filled fabulous world of depression.

Over the summer I had gone on three trips. I went on two fabulous vacations to see friends and family, the other for business, which turned into quite the adventure. When those shorts trips were over, I was looming over a desk at work, feeling stuck. I was looking forward to when I could burn myself out again and start traveling, visiting schools. It felt so far away back at the beginning of August. The days slowly went by as I watched close to three movies a day. Finally, September had arrived and Labor Day weekend was here. My mother heard the distress in my voice as I coolly played my emotions like nothing was eating at my insides. Yet, mother's intuition had beaten me. She drove up to see me and made it clear I wasn't alone. We shopped, cooked dinners and went to movies. It was the first time in quite awhile that I felt comforted, blessed and loved. Thank you mom.

Last January, when I first started working at Full Sail I had petitioned to visit Indiana high schools. Not only is it my home state, but also there were a lot of friends that I wanted to see there. So yes, it was a selfish petition but I believed in it. I pushed and pushed and finally late August it was a go. I worked hard to get into those schools and make contacts and finally it was a reality. My mother had said before I left that this is going to change you, this is what you need…

Saturday – Sunday Morning
On September 8th I flew into Indianapolis. Brittany picked me up at the airport and drove me down to Bloomington as my mouth watered every time we passed a White Castle. Now without doing a play by play of my first day I'll just write this… Lunch, Indiana University Art Museum, Nap, Dinner, Drinks with Friends, then bed by 3:30am. It was a day that I hadn't really had in months. I was already in Heaven.

Sunday
Brit then had to drive me back to Indianapolis to get my rental car. She stood by with me and waited until my car was ready. After she left I drove to my hotel to check in. I had informed Grant I had arrived at my hotel and not a minute later, he was on his way. We met in the lobby and instantly recognized him. It had been 10 years since we last saw each other and he hadn't changed a bit. I took great comfort in that. We sat at the hotel bar, ate, drank, watched football and caught up. Two hours later, Rob and Stacy showed up, more friends from high school. I hadn't seen them in twelve years. Thanks to Grant, the drinks kept on the coming the stories of our past years were revealed. I was in bed by 9:30pm with a huge smile on my face.
Monday
It was my first day of class for the fall semester. I was a bit rusty during my presentation, but I made it without missing a thing, I think. After the first presentation, I had a couple of hours to kill. So I went to Steak and Shake for breakfast. They screwed up my order. When the manager found out about this, which I hadn't said a word about it, he came over to apologize. He saw my Full Sail shirt and commented on it. He knew about the school and took much interest in it. He then told me my breakfast was on the house. Really?
After two more presentations I head up to Rob and Stacy's for dinner. I was early so I drove up to Panera to get a cup of coffee and do some work. I walked in and asked for a cup of coffee and the girl said…"you're fine" handed me the cup and smiled. Free coffee? Really?
I arrived at Rob and Stacy's in which they were cooking me a home cooked steak dinner. Wow! Before dinner we looked at pictures and talked of the past. Then my high school friend Dana arrived. Another familiar face in whom I adore. We ate the most amazing steaks and drank wine that Rob and Stacy had made from scratch. Without just saying the evening was delightful, I will say it was simply lovely.

Tuesday
I've never been to a high school that had ten class periods. After a record nine presentations I headed down to Bloomington to check into my hotel. I stayed at the Indiana University Memorial Hotel located in the heart of the IU student union. My room was nice with antique looking dressers.
Brittany comes over I turn off the TV (yes that's important) and we walk the campus looking for a place to eat. We decide on sushi. After we eat, we go to a clothes shop where I am looking for a t-shirt that says Indiana on it. We then walk up to her place and make drinks. We sit on her porch and talk. It was one of those talks where you remember why you talk to this person. Why you care for this person and how you want to exist with this person. We covered the ups and downs in our lives. Connecting the past to the present and wishing for the best in the future. Brittany has been there for me during my darkest hours. We've known each other since we were babies and yes she has a picture of me as a baby and I'm sitting like a monkey…yes it's true. The conversation reinforced our bond which gave me great comfort that I have such a great person in my life.

Back at the hotel I enter my room. The TV is on…. spooky

Wednesday
More presentations…
Brit and I eat wings and other unhealthy stuff. Remember that diet? Yeah, throw it out the window. We walk it off and get my t-shirt with "Indiana" on it. Watch movie trailers and go get coffee. We part ways at the coffee shop so I can get ready for Mary Alice. Mary Alice arrives and we walk up to the Vid that is a bar. We have a couple of drinks and decide that we're going to do the "Amazing Race" show and our shtick is that we really don't know each other that well. We've actually only hung out about two times prior. So yeah, that was decided over drinks. Since I had been to the Vid many times before I ask her to take me some place new. Finally I stop the thought process and say take me to Kilroy's. That is the Frat Bar of IU. The one bar that my friends refused to take me to, so with a shit eating grin, Mary Alice and I go to Kilroy's. The bar was dead sadly, but there were enough frat boys and drunken sorority girls to get the point across. I then had a moment of clarity. I realized that I spend most of my time at places where I would find people more like me. In retrospect I need to go to places I would normally not go to inspire me creatively. I mean, think about it... I need to broaden my storytelling spectrum, and besides drunken frat boys and sorority girls is just plain comedy.

Thursday.
Presentations…. you get the picture.
Hooray, White Castle!!!! Brit and I dine gloriously.
Brit is the co-chair for the Pride Film Festival in Bloomington. So I go to a screening with her. It was inspiring. I sit in a room with people as we watch independent films. Some were good some were just plain awful. Overall the experience inspired me. I need to get going on some movies and get them out there. That my wonderful readers...is that.

Friday
Last day of Presentations…
Due to a change of accommodations so Derek could finish his symphony in peace I stay in Bloomington one more night.
Legend has it that Brit and Pete sit for hours trying to figure out what kind of pizza they are going to get. How much money can they spend where to go? Pete steps out for a phone call and when he comes back in Brit had already made the decision and ordered the pizza. Which of course was fine with Pete. Brit and Pete drive to the library and pick up movies. They then drive to the pizza express. When we arrive to our surprise our pizza had mysteriously disappeared. So embarrassed were the pizza express employees that they make a fresh pizza and tell us it will be half off. Pete and Brit sit on the Pizza Express bench outside for about ten minutes contemplating life. Behold the Pizza Express employee comes out and asks if we had already received our t-shirt? Bewildered, Brit says no. The Pizza Express employee hands over a t-shirt to Brit in which she gives it to Pete, then our pizza. Then a slight miscommunication on drinks. But then as everything was about to be said and done….the pizza was free!!!! Holding back their emotions and pure glee they drive away from the pizza express in an explosion of joyous symphony!!!! We ate well…
The Kinsey Institute is showing erotic films from their archives this night. Speed walking our way we arrive just in time to a packed theater. The movies ranged from a rare interview with Kinsey himself. Then short silent films from the 20's to the 50's. They were slow and almost exhausting. The highlight was the rare Betty Page footage making it obvious to me why she was so highly regarded in her day.
After the screening we take some pictures at the fountain in which I write a short film in my head. Walk over to a crowded Starbucks to get me an ice tea. We then walk back to Brit's trying to figure out if we were going to see a friend's show. It was obvious to her that I had crashed and my night was over. I slept well.

Saturday/Sunday
Brit and I walk to over to get our coffee and bagels. We sit on the porch and chat. It is my final exit. Bloomington has this charm that embraces you. I don't know if the novelty would fade if I lived there, but it's peace and beauty makes it hard to leave. Not only leaving my best friend but my other new friends as well. Nonetheless I had to go. I hug Brit good-bye and drive my rental car to Indy as tears roll down my cheeks.

Stacy picks me up at the rental car place where I drop off the car and jump in her car. We eat lunch and head back to her house. I put in a movie for her. I sit in this huge comfy chair that sucks you in. I was asleep in seconds and didn't wake up until the credits rolled. She decides to order pizza and I travel with her through Carmel to get it. We arrive home and Rob is crashed out from a day of partying with friends. After eating pizza I jump in the shower and get ready for our night out.

Derek's band is playing at a festival called Oranje. Rob, Stacy and I walk into this festival. A warehouse/parking garage turned into a sensory overload of art and music. It was amazing! We swoosh through the exhibits and listen to music. Brit and her friends show up which was a great surprise. We had already said our good-byes? Then Derek who had locked himself into his apartment for months trying to finish his symphony, he was in hyper crazy mode like a child rediscovering the world. Then Mary Alice arrives. We reinstate our plans to do the "Amazing Race" as we sip on our booze. We gather in the area where Derek's band is playing. It was my first Basilica show. When they begin, I am instantly blown away. I can't tell you, but you have to see it to believe it. Not only that, but my greatest enjoyment is watching my friend perform. Watching Derek perform always leaves me in awe.

Stacy and Rob drive Brit and me to her car to do the Pete Exchange. I decided to stay at Brit's mom's house. HOORAY, WHITE CASTLE!!!! We stop and pick up that greasy goodness and take it back to the house. We eat in such sweet bliss.

Sunday Morning we lay in bed as long as we can. I get up to a fresh pot of coffee thanks to Jim. Brit and her mom look over old writings as Jim and I talk and laugh at them. I gather my things and say good-bye to Jim and Linda. Brit and I head to a Waffle House for one last diet breaking breakfast. After the All-Star Breakfast and a wonderful conversation it was time to go.

Dropped off at the airport it hadn't sunk in that it was really over. I was going back to the place where I had lost my will my inspiration. Going back to my corner that shelters me from the evils of the swamps. Then I realized… I know some of the most talented people in the world. A writer, a composer, interior designers, a dancer, an architect, and a friend who works with cancer patients. I also may have inspired students to full fill their dreams. Although I may feel like I am alone, I'm really not. My heart is filled with love for the people in my life. I have friends all over the world who are some of the most amazing people anyone could ever meet.

Now I sit on my patio on this hot muggy night in Florida. I'm wearing my Pizza Express t-shirt proudly. I'm not sad or depressed. My heart is full and my mind inspired. My mother was right. This trip did change me and it was exactly what I needed. Thank you to everyone for giving me your time and your love. You lifted up a fallen man.

…Coming Soon: State of Maine!

p.s.
For those I didn't get to see, you were in my thoughts and I'll catch you on the next trip!!!

pp.s
If you read all that…I applaud you.

2 comments:

mom said...

I had written a very inspirational note then when I went to send it it said this blog does not allow annoymous comments. So I had to go through the proccess of making myself known which for me is not done in one easy installment. So I hope this one will make it.

Any way, my words of wisdom was that if things didn't go wrong then there would be no place for right things to happen.

If you had a copy of the handouts you could ask the hotel to copy some up for you or have the school fax over a copy tomorrow and then copy some until they can overnight your stuff.

Hope today is a great day and full of NICE surprises and beauty.

Love you
Mom

The Brooks Family said...

Hey, it was a long read but I stuck it out and stayed with you! It was great to hear how you had changed through this trip...although I have to say that I don't know to many people who get excited about a "White Castle" =) Take care of your self while you are on this journey.

Love,
Stephanie