Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Spirits of Portland Maine

I’m sitting at this desk drinking a cup of coffee, staring out my window. There isn’t a cloud in the sky. It’s a gorgeous day. I can’t wait to go outside. But as I sit here I am really trying hard to come up with words to describe last night.

I started walking and decided to go down a different street. A block from my hotel room there was a bar that stood a lone. I nearly walked past it. I honesty can’t remember the name of it. I walked in and ordered a 7&7. I walked outside to the patio a stood with my drink and smoked cigarette. It was packed nor were the people obnoxious. The place was chill, which I love. A guy behind me talks on his cell phone and then hangs up. I look back at him and he shrugs and says it’s my mom making sure I’m not getting too drunk tonight. He then introduces himself as Luke. As we talk he shares with me his love for this city. The food, the bars and the people he loves living here. Luke has just arrived back from Africa where he had been backpacking for the last month. He’s here with his friend Staaus who is standing next behind Luke talking with another friend. Luke walks away to get another beer and I stand quietly smiling at this optimism these he shared with me. Luke comes back with four shots of whisky and hands them to his friends and then passes one to me. They toast “All In” referring to Luke’s big win at poker earlier in the day. We down out shots in great appreciation. I am introduced to Staaus who lives in Maine but is from Russia. His accent is still strong. Luke and Staaus make a funny bet on who has more “game” than the other. Obviously Luke has more confidence but Staaus has the accent the women love. Luke sees a woman and makes his way to prove his “game”.

Staaus and I talk about L.A. and Vegas. He had just arrived back from a weekend trip to Vegas with his brother. He’s a bit ashamed for spending way too much money out there gambling. I think he’s realized he has a gambling problem. At one point he was up thousands of dollars and didn’t walk away. Now he’s broke. I assured him that money is money and he’ll make it back, but the experience is what he needs to look back on and appreciate.

I walk over to Luke who talking to a girl and her friend. I’m told him I’m about to leave and he says we need to go to another place. Staaus still has a full beer so we wait and I sit with Luke and the ladies. To my surprise the Natalie is from Lakeland, FL and her friends is from Altamont Springs. They know Orlando well. We all sit and talk as other locals come in. Everyone seems to know each other here and it’s comforting to be included in the mix. Finally Luke is ready to move on.

We head to Mcgritty’s where many people have told me prior that I need to go to. It’s a brewpub and it’s packed. Luke hands Staaus cash to buy us around and then walks away. Luke is gone for quite awhile. Staaus and I end up talking to David a guy sitting at the bar. I began to notice that people love baseball here. In fact Maine is full of hardcore Boston Red Sox fans. You would think you were in Boston. The irony is that Staaus is wearing a Yankees hat just for reactions from people. He tells me that he doesn’t even like baseball; he’s a soccer fan. Luke shows up and we chat. He tells us he has to meet some friends at Rai Tai and wants us to come along.

There’s a line at Rai Tai and we wait. A lady in front of us jokes with Staaus about his Yankees hat. As we enter the crowded bar an 80’s cover band is on stage. Staaus and I realize we have lost Luke and from that point on we will not see him for the rest of the night. We go upstairs and Staaus buys me a drink. We walk around and I notice people are glued to the Boston/Tampa Bay game. Staaus and I talk in great detail about life, home, women, Russia and our common lack of money.

I was worried as we were walking from bar to bar that this nightlife would be like every other place I’ve been to. You have people decked out and people in very casual attire, and I was afraid that this would be just another meat market. Looking back it kinda is but not really. These people are aware and extremely polite of each other. If someone bumps into you that stop and make sure to apologize with a smile. Everyone moves out of the way when someone is walking through especially in a crowded bar. I notice that these people are sincere and kind. I’m sure some people’s hormones are on fire but they mingle with class.

Staaus bumps into some friends and introduces me. It’s starting to get late so I tell him I need to head back to the hotel. He’s disappointed but makes sure I get his cell phone number for when I get back to Portland.

On my way back I walk past the bar where I started. I decide to have one more before heading back to the hotel. I go to the upstairs part and order a drink. Another band is on stage. I go outside and sit at a picnic table where a group of people is talking. I quietly sip on my drink and listen to their conversation. After about ten minutes, I find myself included in the conversation. I have met five more people. These people are intelligent and laid back. I seem to have fit right in. They find out that I am a “motivational speaker” and tell me to motivate them. The rest of the night we all sit back and talk, laugh and enjoy each other’s company. Before I know, we have closed out the bar. The invite me to continue hanging out but I tell them it’s time for me to head back. They give me their email addresses and make sure to contact them when I’m back from Bangor.

I don’t know what it is. Perhaps when I’m in a new city I have more confidence. I wonder why I can’t do that as much in my own city. Perhaps people are intrigued with a new face and a fresh perspective. Maybe it’s just the people here and it’s just their nature. Nonetheless there really is still good people in this world.

I wan to give a big thank you to the dozen or so people that I met last night. Thank you for the drinks, your kindness and your beautiful spirit.

2 comments:

Stacy Disarrayed said...

See, your travels aren't so "lonely" are they?
It sounds like you've had a lovely time so far. I'm glad to hear it.

buddyvaughn said...

It's been amazing!!