Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Dream and the Internet Fiasco

I had a dream last night. I was living in a city near friends. It was raining and I was in my car driving. I saw a sign for a town I knew. I decided to drive towards it. The sun is shining and I drive into town towards a house of a girl I know. I see she’s having a party. I drive by then turn around and park down the street. I sneak through the back door and sit on the couch. She comes inside from the party and is happy to see me. She throws her arms around me and asks me to protect her. I find out what she means. She has been dating this Asian guy that she wants it to be over with. She invites me outside to the party and everyone knows me. From the front door my dead aunt Lucille walks out with an engagement ring around a charm. She doesn’t say anything, but just hands it over to me. The girl and I are the only ones that can see her. We both look at the ring and smile.

I wake up like it was a nightmare. My heart pounding and my covers wrapped around me laying vertical on the bed. But it wasn’t a nightmare I was happy and ecstatic. I woke up thinking I was now engaged and in love and wasn’t able to shake that feeling. At the same time I felt my aunt Lucille was in the room with me. That was the first time I ever dreamt of the dead.

So I am on my third state and I know some of you would argue this statement but I’m counting it simply because I’m not at home, but I am in Florida on the Gulf Coast. I am going to count it simply because my drive time is just about the same as me flying to any of the states I’ve been to.

So I drove up here on Sunday night after spending the evening with my mother, having dinner and doing laundry. The traveling is definitely catching up. I’m really dragging lately. I arrived at my Hotel in New Port Richey around 10pm Sunday night. I quickly learned that I didn’t have the Internet. It’s now Tuesday night and I still don’t have the Internet. I’m sitting at a starbucks coffee writing this. I’ve complained twice about the lack of the web at the hotel and the constantly say they are fixing it. Now I believe they are just saying that to all the customers. I may have to switch hotels tomorrow, urghh… it doesn’t make my work easy since next week is still up in the air. I’m going out of town next week, that’s confirmed. I just don’t know when.

I’m staying at a Quality Inn and the corporate slogan says that if I’m not 100% satisfied then I (Full Sail) get their money back. I can deal with the fact that the wallpaper is peeling off the walls and soap is like plastic. I can deal with that. I’ve stayed at worse at a highway motel but no Internet? Especially since I called last week and asked if they had it?

Well, the last two days have been tough. 5 or 6 presentations both days which makes it draining. The schools have been fine except one class. On both days I’ve had one class that have ruined it for me. Yesterday, I had a girl talk through the whole presentation and the teacher didn’t do anything. So I had to give her the evil eye. Today I was asked to stay one extra class at the end of the day and all the classes were great except the last class. The students could have cared less. First period and last period are always the hardest. For me and for them. So I usually have to give them the “Be Cool” speech. Which contains, if you’re not cool and disrespectful you’re not going to last long in the industry. Yeah, I know, but it works sometimes and in the film industry, it’s true.

Tomorrow I get to sleep in and relax. I have a college fair tomorrow night so that will be awesome!

Monday, after class I went out for sushi and a movie. I saw In the Valley of Elah. It’s Paul Haggis the director of “Crash” new movie. I give it up thumbs up. It wasn’t as powerful as Crash but it was good. Simple, matter-of-fact story telling. It’s not an anti-war movie at all but a generational movie. I’ve always thought about the comparison between soldiers of WWII to soldiers of today. Don’t get me wrong I am a strong supporter of our soldiers perhaps not the war but I do respect our armed forces a great deal. I’m proud of them. I just wonder sometimes as a generation. If you see the movie you’ll understand what I’m talking about. I guess that’s why I liked that movie simply because it asks that question. I don’t think it’ll be nominated for best picture but I do believe Tommy Lee Jones was really good in it so who knows maybe he’ll be nominated.
I don’t know if the title of the movie really fits the story. The David and Goliath aspect is way too simple. The metaphor is a man against the military. I don’t think that’s what the story is about at all. If you pick a bible story as the title it should be the Prodigal Son.

If I go to a movie tomorrow it will be “The Kingdom”. I’ll let you know about that one.

I also bought a new much-needed suitcase. I hope this one will hold up. Especially on this two-week straight trip starting next week. Wait? Who’s going to water my plants?

1 comment:

Stacy Disarrayed said...

You have plants? :)
Ok, well, I think your aunt came to say hi last night. We could have a long conversation how I feel about "the dead" and how the visit, etc. But my theory is she came to say hello. The engagment ring? well, that could a lot of things...or nothing. I could start analyzing this dream a lot...but I won't on your public blog.

To be honest I was getting a little worried not hearing from you! Glad to know it was just an inconvenience and you're still warping young minds.
Luv