Monday, October 15, 2007

The Scavenger Hunt

This trip is going to be different. My friend Brittany has conceived a game for me to play while I am on this two week trip. I am in Wakefield, MA just 12 miles North of Boston. I’m pretty much going to be in the outskirts of Boston and probably not going to make it into the city. So Brittany has devised this game to keep me entertained while I am visiting these suburban towns. Here’s the Game:

1. boston - throw a tea bag into the boston harbor
2. fall river - drive by the house where lizzie borden
killed her parents (now a b&b):
http://www.lizzie-borden.com/about.asp?SiteSectionID=1&SiteSubSectionID=1\
3. lexington - lay in the grass of the battle green
(where the first shots of the battle of lexington and
concord were fired):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexington_Battle_Green
4. bedford - visit the two brothers rocks (When
Governor Winthrop and his Deputy Thomas Dudley viewed
their lands in early 1638, they decided to use two
great stones on the site to divide the property.
Winthrop claimed the land to one side of one rock;
Dudley claimed the land on the other side of the other
rock. They named the rocks "The Two Brothers." Over
the years, the two men had many differences; however
they learned to work together and even considered
themselves "brothers" by their children's marriage.
The rocks have come to symbolize the men's sprit of
cooperation and democracy. The two brothers can still
be seen near the banks of the Concord River in the
Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.): you can find
a map here, http://www.bedfordmahistory.org/free.htm
5. find a sign (anywhere, saying anything) referencing
any of the many nobel peace prize recipients or other
famous people who have lived in belmont: scroll down
to notable residents:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belmont,_Massachusetts
6. salem - visit the burying point (oldest cemetery in
salem), where you find the with trials memorial as
well as the grave of one of the witch trials' judges,
john hawthorne (an ancestor of nathaniel hawthorne,
who wrote "the scarlet letter"):
http://www.salemweb.com/guide/tour/attract3.shtml#OBP
7. woonsocket - oh, that town name is so awesome, just
take a picture of any sign with the town's name on it
8. long island - visit fire island!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Island_National_Seashore
9. long island - drive through the hamptons
10. long island - visit the beach at montauk (like in
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!)
http://www.onmontauk.com/
11. new york city - visit the five points area (like
in gangs of new york!):
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=worth+st.+%26+baxter+st.,+new+york,+ny&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=16&ll=40.714362,-74.000452&spn=0.006408,0.021629&t=h
12. amityville - well, yeah, duh. here's some more
info: http://djtricities.com/amityville/location.php
(like the address isn't 112 ocean drive anymore, even
though it's in the same place).

When I arrived at the Boston airport I picked up my car without any problems. I started driving north and there were these roundabouts. I accidentally took the 1A instead of the 1 so I kept driving not realizing at the time they were different. After knowing that they were different streets I just kept driving since turning around would just be a pain. Looking at the map I found that the highway did cross the 1A just a few miles north. The 1A just happens to run through downtown Salem.

It’s that time of the year in Salem where people from all over the world come to visit in the month of all hallows eve. The witches were all in costume in this downtown festival. People lined up for the Witch Museum. Street vendors lined the streets selling kettle corn and other foods and novelties. From my list I was to see the old burying ground. I stepped into the crowded visitors center and asked a lady where it was. She pointed me in the right direction and one block away there it was. The old stone graves lined up in this small cemetery. It was amazing looking at these stones that date all the way back to the late 1600’s – 1800’s. On a street next to the cemetery was a haunted house tour. The festival was busy on this beautiful Sunday Afternoon. The weather was 60 degrees. I was happy to be walking around even though I was lost and tired. Salem was a gorgeous town. I may go back if I have time, it’s really not far from my hotel so who knows.

COMPLETE: 6. salem - visit the burying point (oldest cemetery in
salem), where you find the with trials memorial as
well as the grave of one of the witch trials' judges,
john hawthorne (an ancestor of nathaniel hawthorne,
who wrote "the scarlet letter"):

4 comments:

Stacy Disarrayed said...

Wait a minute, wait a minute...I expect to see some pictures as proof! :)
BIG PROPS to Brittany...that is an awesome idea.
And Pete...if you get back to Salem...buy me a shirt and take more pictures! I would LOVE to go there!
Have fun on your hunt!

brent said...

again. very Elizabethtown

brent said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d03gH_cFfI&mode=related&search=

i know this is late but Pete, i thik you'll dig it

Stacy Disarrayed said...

That is TOO funny! I love those Real Men of Genius commercials! I sent it to a 'co-worker' in Houston.