Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Inspiration/Failure

Walden Pond

I hear birds and chipmunks scurrying through the grass. The pond is a few yards in front of me as I sit on tree stump writing this. I’m just 50 yards from Thoreau’s cabin ruins and I can see why he picked this spot. Long pine needles cover the ground. The sun backlights trees making the red leaves glow. I wish I could take a picture of that, but it looks over blown on my cameras.

The water in the pond is emerald green with a slight breeze making ripples. How I love nature. You do hear cars in the distance and airplanes over head. Tourists walk behind me knocking up the leaves and pine needles talking loud and being obnoxious. Yet overall I am at peace.

A woman yesterday told me that the pond wasn’t far. Since I had other tasks to complete I decided to wait until today since Belmont is not that far from here where my fair is tonight. I figure I’ll relax here for a bit, grab some lunch and complete probably the most challenging of tasks and that’s to find a sign with a Nobel Prize winner’s name on it. This one will be tough.

I am now distracted by a loud plane and voices screaming closer by now, why the yelling?

Now I am going to put my computer away. Sit on this stump and just be.

Belmont

I drove south to Belmont and found the school just fine. So I went off on my quest for Nobel Prize winners and food. I drove and drove taking left turns and right turns, finding nothing. Not even a restaurant. I started to get really hungry since it was around 3pm and I hadn’t eaten yet. The prizewinners can wait. I found a square that had a starbucks and an Italian restaurant. I went to the restaurant and ordered lasagna. It really wasn’t all that good. I guess nothing will be my grandmother’s but I keep trying. It was just one of those things that sounded good at the time. So after I ate and my stomach hated me I went over to Starbucks and got a cup of coffee.

I was able to steal the Internet from somewhere and looked online for Nobel Prize winners in Belmont. Nothing. I went on mapquest and look for a street name and found nothing. Time was running out. So I took some back roads hoping I would run into something that would have a name like Kissinger or Woodward and I didn’t see anything. Before long I end up at the school. Across from the school is a huge park. I start walking the trail and see monuments. The high flagpole is dedicated to the WWII vets a bench dedicated to a victim in 9/11 and a tree dedicated to a famous arborist. Still had nothing.

There was nothing I really could do so I had to improvise. I created a sign dedicating it to the Nobel Prize winners of Belmont and placed it on a bench. Me being the great writer I am misspells Nobel so I have to cross out Noble and put Nobel underneath it. So that was my sign and for those of you who call out CHEAT then I understand. It was a desperate attempt.

So I’ll leave it up to you. Do I get some brownie points for seeing Walden Pond and making my own sign or am I a complete failure? Tell me what you think?

The college fair sucked.

P.S.
Thank you for all your comments today. You all really reached out which was awesome and I felt so privileged that you were reading my blogs. I’m going to post two blogs tomorrow 1. For the comments you left today 2. For the day I will have tomorrow. It won’t happen until the afternoon so bare with me.

Walden Pond
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Quote
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Site of Thoreau's House
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Chimney
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Replica of Thoreau's House
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Inside the Replica
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Peter Vaughn Jervis is THOREAU
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

MY SIGHN DEDICATION TO ALL THE NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS OF BELMONT
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

brent said...

credit given

Stacy Disarrayed said...

Too funny.
I'll let it slide!

Damn that house is small! But how nice is that view!?!